Friday, May 3, 2013

Your Excuses Are Invalid

"Oh you're so lucky.  You work in gyms so you can always get a workout in."  Yes, it was pure 100% absolute luck that I ended up working in multiple weight rooms.  Wanting to work in a weight room has nothing to do with it.  Studying my ass off to be where I am has nothing to do with it.  Dedicating my life to doing what I do and being where I am has exactly zip to do with it.  The little luck fairy sprinkled her magic dust, twirled her rainbow wand and POOF! I was the "lucky" one out of billions of people to be be able to get a workout in whenever I want because I work in a gym.

Well I'm here to tell you that your excuses for not getting in some sort of workout or being active in any capacity are shit.  Yep, absolute bulllllshit.  Here is what most of your excuses look like....

Pick one of the following...."I don't have....."

  • Time
  • Energy
  • Money
  • A place to workout
  • The right equipment
  • The right weather
  • A workout buddy
Now do you want to know the number one reason why all of those excuses are invalid?  Those excuses are invalid because what that tells me is that YOU don't have time for YOU.  You are not making yourself, your health, your happiness, your well-being a priority.  No one can make YOU your own priority when it comes to being healthy and active.  Why be so self-limiting?

So you say you don't have time.  How about those 20 minutes you just spent on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter where you were re-posting motivational memes?  I'm pretty sure in those same 20 minutes you can knock out body weight squats, push-ups, lunges, crunches.  Hell you can knock out a full body stretching routine in that amount of time.  Try living all those inspirational quotes instead of just posting them.  

Energy huh?  When was the last time you didn't feel at least just a little bit tired?  Welcome to adulthood, it's fucking exhausting.  You know what though?  If you expend a little bit more energy every day you'll actually start getting back a lot more energy.  I know that seems weird but it's true.  Sitting around all day is actually much more tiring than going out a doing something, anything!

Who the hell needs money to get a workout in?  Pretty sure those kids who are playing baseball with a stick for a bat and rocks for a ball don't give a crap about not having money to be active.  Moving around is free.  Give it a shot some time.

Remember when we didn't need a special place to workout?  Special equipment?  And we didn't need perfect conditions either.  We went outside, got dirty, ran around, jumped on things, fell down.  We just played.  It wasn't "working out" but it was active as hell.  Sprinting for cover in the rain and trudging thru knee-deep snow.  Instead of worrying about the right place, the right equipment, the right weather, enjoy everything for what it is.  Go for a walk in the rain, stop worrying that you're going to soak your favorite shoes, they'll dry I promise.  Get drenched in the rain....it's good for the body and for the soul.  

When I was in the sixth-grade I was the new girl in class.  I was shy beyond belief and didn't always feel like I made friends really easily.  You know where I started making friends?  Recess.  I didn't need a friend to GO to recess, I made friends AT recess.  So what if you don't have a workout partner?  Make a freakin' new friend.  It's really not that awful.

Yep your excuses are invalid.  I'm not saying there won't be times where you do have a completely good excuse for not being active and trying to be healthy.  Life happens so it's not always going to be perfect.  We're humans, not robots, so it will never be perfect or ideal.  Just remember that no one is going to do it for you, you'll have to be your own priority.  You were born.  You're alive.  You have the right.  You have the ability.  Just move, it's that easy and it's free.

No comments:

Post a Comment