Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What We Often Forget

In an end of the year bit of introspection and retrospection, I keep coming back to the things we forget when it comes to training.  I'm as guilty as the next of forgetting certain aspects to my training.  I may not do some auxiliary lifts as much as I should or not be diligent with rehab or even forget to focus.  Outside of all that there is one thing that shines above the rest I think many people forget along the way.  It's a simple thing really: having fun.

Many of the weightlifters that I know and train with on a regular basis, the ones that are truly serious about competing, the ones that keep coming back after injuries and surgeries and let-downs, are just like I am.  We find the destination we're looking for, we plan the path and the process that will get us there, and somewhere along the way we've forgotten why we started doing this in the first place.  We get so wrapped up in the process, thinking that it's the only way to get to that destination, that we have forgotten to have fun with what we're doing.

The process and following it to the exact becomes an obsession.  The closer we get to the destination, the more obsessive we become.  Any slight deviation from the path and the process will send us over the edge, down a spiraling staircase of emotion, hitting every step on the way.  Frustration, anger, sadness, the full gamut of negative emotion.  Because it's become an obsession its hard to step back, take a breath, and refocus.  It's even harder when you feel you're traveling that path alone; the path, the process, the obsession becomes so single-minded in it's intent.

There is nothing wrong with being single-minded, determined, focused, dedicated.  The problem happens when those things so overwhelm the person that it stops being fun.  Like many before me, I started lifting weights because I liked it.  I had no set goal other than to enjoy it.  I started competing in weightlifting because I enjoy competition.

Over 9 years later, I'm still competing and still trying to find my limits.  Over those years there have been many highs and many lows to my performance but I keep coming back.  Maybe I'm the proverbial glutton for punishment.  Mostly I just love this sport.  I might not be training optimally or to my full potential, it happens.  I have definitely had a full on roller-coaster year of battling injuries, coming back stronger than ever, hitting new PRs, and then doing what I feel was my absolute worst in a major competition.

I know that I have gotten myself wrapped up in the process.  I have forgotten to have fun.  I need replace days that leave me frustrated and aggravated and ready to scream.  I need to replace them with days that look like this:


Or days with my teammates that look like this:


They're not top weights.  Hell they probably aren't even technically-sound lifts.  They are what we often forget......fun.

1 comment:

  1. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2000. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescibtion like: Insulin ,Sulfonylureas,Thiazolidinediones but Icould not get the cure rather to reduce the pain abd brink back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I aslo contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabtes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGERIA, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, WEAK ERECTION.,PAINFUL OR IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION.Dr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2348142454860.

    ReplyDelete