Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Two Roads Diverged in a Weight Room.....

I LOVE lifting.  There's always been some "glitch" in me that makes me want to be stronger and faster than everyone around me.  Now with that being said there are days where the thought of trying to pick up something heavy just doesn't sound very appealing.  This is where Robert Frost's two roads diverge in a wood....you can take the easy road and not lift.  Or you can put on your big girl panties and do work!

Today was one of those days.  I was a little bit tired and A LOT cranky from work.  Joints were feeling stiff, tired, maybe a bit twingy.  Not the worst I've ever felt going into a work out but definitely a little on edge.  So the roads were split....

Road 1 - Sit here in front of the computer, talking the talk.  Blah blah blahhhhing about lifting.
Road 2 - Pony up & lift some heavy shit.

So I pulled out the big girl panties, squeezed my increasingly large ass into them, and decided to skip down Road 2 or die trying.  Of course with being so inspired lately I decided to take it a step further and put up a big goal for the session.  Full clean 90k for 3 reps or get buried underneath it trying.  A few months ago just cleaning 90k for one rep would've seemed lofty and this time I wanted to triple it.  80k for 3, check!  85k for 3, felt a little heavier than I thought but check!  On to the bar 90k goes.....A lot of grunts, screams, yells, and a slight grinder third rep.....CHECK AND DONE!

With the full cleans done for the day it was time to move onto the squats.  Squatting is one of my favorite lifts.  Squatting for 8 reps, maybe not as much.  8 reps feels like an eeeeeeeeeternity under the weight.  Prior to taking my current job I was on a good roll and had squatted 100x8 but haven't gotten anywhere near that recently.  Today my plan was to match that by my last set.  I did one warm up set of 70x4 then got right into it.  90x8, felt like baby weight.  Decided to jump straight to 100.  Knocked out 8 reps no problem.  Went to 105....1 rep 2 rep breath, 3 rep 4 rep 5 rep breath, 6 rep breath, 7 rep breath, 8 rep scream like a banshee and rack it like a champ! Lay on floor waiting for my ass and legs to stop twitching.....

Both lifts were PRs for the reps.  Clean 90x3.  Squat 105x8.  Beastess...mode...complete.

Two roads diverged in a weight room.  I lifted some heavy weight.  And that has made all the difference.....

No comments:

Post a Comment